Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dude, I'm totally wired right now!

I’m always interested in new things, new ways to keep in touch with friends and family. I also find that on the night shift you need as many distractions as possible. When it’s busy you can just ignore them but when quiet nights arrive they help keep you awake. My latest distractions are social networks. I joined Facebook some time ago but recently with all the layoffs in local television, I find many more people networking and touching base with old friends and co-workers.

A few months ago I started blogging. I have a few friends around the country that read it when they have time. It’s not so much for them as it is for me. I just find writing keeps my brain working and helps me see my place in the world. Last week I joined Twitter. Twitter is like Facebook, in that it is an easy way for friends to keep each other up to date. What makes twitter different is that you are limited to 140 characters of text and most people use Twitter via smart phones or BlackBerry.

After a few days on Twitter I have found it very useful. I follow the posts of various users. Most of them are news related. It seems that just about every news organization in the world is now “tweeting” on Twitter. Right now I keep up to date on the posts of CBC News, Global News, CTV News, CP24, City News, Globe and Mail, National Post, Toronto Star and many others. I also follow a few individual posters such as police officers and other news camera people. Toronto Fires Services also tweet all dispatches. This makes it easy for me to keep up to date with them without making too many phone calls.

I have figured all this out in just a few days. I have now connected my blog, my Facebook page and my Twitter posts together. Here is how it works. When I tweet it gets posted on Twitter and automatically changes my status on Facebook to match my last tweet. The Twitter posts also get automatically added to the side bar of my blog. So when I go to a shoot I will sometimes post a tweet describing the scene or what I’m covering. It’s fun for me, if for no one else, and helps keep me engaged and excited about my work.

And just to prove how extremely wired and hip I really am, I can also share with you that I am now sporting new HD glasses. These amazing HD glasses bring the whole world to my eyes in stunning HD. The great thing is they are also backwards compatible to standard definition. Depending on my needs I can easily adjust the view from stunning HD 1080P back down to standard definition with just a simple tilt of my head. The results are truly breathtaking to behold. Sometimes I find myself just frozen in astonishment, needing to take a few minutes to soak it all in.

Thank God for Bifocals!

Bifocals - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifocals
Tony’s Blog - http://torontocam.blogspot.com/
Twitter - http://twitter.com
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com
Twitter for BlackBerry - http://www.orangatame.com/products/twitterberry/

No comments:

Post a Comment